Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Enchiladas and What I Ate

I cannot believe how beautiful the weather has been on Long Island! There are predictions for rain for the rest of the week but I really hope that it stays sunny. I ate oatmeal and toasted raisin bread with Earth's Balance spread for breakfast. The sun was beautifully blaring into the kitchen:


In the midst of running some errands in the afternoon, I stopped into Jandi's which our local all-natural foods store that got me really interested in all-natural and organic foods way back when (aka in high school). I picked up a chickpea salad with tahini-lemon dressing and chickpea tofu curry which I piled on top of ak-mak crackers. This whole lunch cost 5 bucks:


For snacks I had a Back to Nature sandwich cookie and a sliced apple with peanut butter (I almost forgot to take a picture so half of the apple is gone-- opps!):




For dinner I made enchiladas, which were inspired by the ones I ate the other night at Santa Fe. The ingredients:

4 whole wheat tortillas of Roll-Ups
4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 white onion
6 cups raw spinach
10 button mushrooms, diced
1 can 15 oz. diced tomatoes
1 can 15 oz. black beans
Tomatillo salsa
1/3 cup 0 fat Greek Yogurt
1 cup shredded cheeses

Serves 4

Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to a pan. Let sit for 5-7 minutes and then slowly combine in the spinach, letting each handful wilt before adding in another. Mix in mushrooms and beans and let sit for 5 or so more minutes:


Wild By Nature was out of tortillas so I picked up these Roll Up's. They're a bit thicker than tortillas and they are rectangular which actually made for easy rolling:


Preheat your oven to 200 and place about 1/4 vegetables onto the left side of your tortilla or Roll Up. "Grease" your baking dish with 1-2 tbsp. of tomatillo salsa. Roll the tortilla toward the right until you've made a full wrap and place in an oven-safe, rectangular baking dish with the fold of the tortilla facing down:


In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of tomatillo salsa with the Greek yogurt to pour on top of the enchiladas:


Pour yogurt/salsa mixture over the enchiladas and top with 1 cup of sharp shredded cheeses such as Monterey Jack and cheddar. I had some vegetables remaining in my pan so I poured those over the enchiladas as well :


Place the enchiladas in a 200 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and browned a bit. That white you see is the Greek yogurt which I think tastes just like sour cream when used in a savory dish:


I served these with rice pilaf that my mom made, a lime wedge and chips and salsa. In the words of my dad, these were "awesome" and did not take long at all to make!


After dinner I had this white chocolate pretzel that my mom froze for me a few weeks ago so I could try it:


And while doing some homework (yes, homework over break :/ ) I had a Gone Bananas bar from Trader Joe's:


In the next day or two look out for a special fitness guest on the blog. See you tomorrow!

With health,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment