Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pinto and Black Bean Chili

Yesterday was a loooong day. First I taped two episodes of Veggie Bites with my awesome crew (I think after our next taping I'm going to take pictures of all of them and do a post on them!) and then played a game of kickball with my brothers. By brothers I mean my fraternity brothers; I'm in Alpha Kappa Psi which is a co-ed business fraternity. While I do love to exercise I am not that athletic. I remember having anxiety when I was in kindergarten over soccer games due to my poor hand-eye coordination! I actually did OK at the kickball game, but I think I'd rather use my strength with a hand blender! All of these activities brought me to around 6p.m. when my roommate, Tina let me know that our friend Dave would be joining us for dinner. Luckily my other roommate, Rebecca (we call her Rebs), was already at Whole Foods getting some provisions.

On the menu last night was pinto and black bean chili, which is a great dish if you're having last-minute guests because it's so hearty. I laid out the ingredients and asked Tina to cook for me so I could do my WMM workout and shower. Here's how she made it:

Pictured above: 1 yellow onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 red peppers, tabasco sauce, 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, 1 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, 1 15 oz. can black beans, cumin, paprika, black pepper and corn starch.

Add tomatoes to a pan on medium-high heat. Once the tomatoes begin to boil, reduce heat to medium and add crushed garlic and chopped onion. Let sit for 5-7 minutes and then add chopped red pepper. Wait an additional 5-7 minutes and add in the remaining ingredients.

Add in beans, 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, a few dashes of tabasco (judge by how hot you like it!), 1 tsp black pepper and a tbsp or so of cornstarch to achieve thickness.

We served this with the Newman's Own Peach Salsa I was raving about a week or so ago and some tortilla chips. Top your bowl with a heaping spoonful of sour cream or plain yogurt and enjoy with 4 friends! I posted a picture of my serving last night on Twitter. It was delicious with just the right amount of spice, thanks Tina (and thanks for taking photos!).

With health,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment