Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bok Choy

Tonight I was incharge of making two side dishes to go along with salmon filets that my friend Alex would be making. My mind instantly went to mashed yams (with butter, salt, pepper and cinnamon) and bok choy. I love using bok choy with fish (or as a main vegetable in a spicy Thai soup-yum!) because it has such delicate flavor but really interesting texture. The bottom is crunchy and the top is a leaf:


The two items I found while slowly pushing my cart through the supermarket yesterday were a bottle of Ginger Soother and sesame oil. I've eaten sesame oil before but I had never used it myself so I wanted to try it out! I love bok choy and ginger together so I thoroughly washed the vegetable and did the following:

Break apart stalk and add to a pan with 1/3 bottle of Ginger Soother (ginger, lemon, honey, water). Let simmer and add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a pinch of salt. Remove bok choy from pan once the top leaves are wilted (about 10 minutes) and serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.





The result was delicious and the Ginger Soother added an interesting taste to the vegetable. Plus, I now have the rest of the bottle in the fridge in case I get a stomach ache! All of you ginger ale lovers out there who use it to ease stomach pain, make sure your ale has got the real stuff in it because ginger truly does work wonders when your stomach is sick.

I am so pleased to say that the first episode of Veggie Bites for this season is up on YouTube! The episode will (hopefully!) air on ATV tomorrow night and be on their website as well. Tomorrow I will share the episode with you and also give you the recipes for the dishes I made on the show!

With health,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment