Saturday, February 20, 2010

Julia's Empanadas

Today I realized two things. The first is that the DC buses are definitely still not back on their normal routes and the second is that there is a true gem on Connecticut Avenue in Dupont. Last Spring I worked at Hello Cupcake, which is right down the block from the empanada shop, but never went in. People would stop in with their Julia's Empanadas bags and tell me about the menu and for some wacky reason I never made it over to that block. Well, I'm happy that I did today because their savory empanadas are seriously wholesome. The storefront is entirely unassuming and when you walk in there's a cafeteria-style sign stating the menu with little rubber numbers to indicate the price (about $3-4 for a savory empanada, $1-2 for fruit). There's a small space for standing and eating, and a display case in the front at which you order your empanada.


I ordered the SalteƱas empanada (chicken, potato, green peas, hard boiled egg, raisins, green olives and onion)


and Will picked a Jamaican Style (ground and chopped beef, onion, potato, curry and spices).

For dessert Will got an apple-filled empanada and I chose pineapple-coconut. The apple filling was hearty and cinnamon-y but the pineapple-coconut tasted artificial and the interior was simply not worthy of the hearty crust.



Will studied abroad in Argentina in the Winter of 2008 and while these empanadas were definitely larger than the ones he was used to eating (I guess that's what happens when you bring them to America!), he gave them his stamp of approval. This is definitely a cheap, filling eat to check out if you're in Dupont!

With health,

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Julia's Empanadas! I used to go there all the time when I was interning in Dupont (since I'm such a poor college student and all). Jamaican is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete